Thursday, April 10, 2014

Red Cabbage Recipe


So this deliciousness happened last night - sautéed red cabbage with balsamic vinaigrette. I made it for my family, but I could have devoured the entire pan myself. I enjoy a colorful plate, and what could be more colorful than red cabbage? First it's red, then purple, then blue! Not to mention, it is full of nutrients.

I borrowed this recipe from Epicurious and doctored it up a bit (my changes in orange). I can't speak for the original recipe, but we really enjoyed my version. You be the judge.

Wilted Red Cabbage with Balsamic Vinegar

Ingredients

10 red cabbage leaves (I did not count leaves)
1 small onion
2 tablespoons water
4 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinaigrette
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
a skosh of chicken stock
lemon juice (fresh, if possible)
sausage (optional)*

Directions 


  1. Thinly slice cabbage and onion separately.
    The cabbage I bought was so firm I didn't bother slicing as it was a waste of time. I just tore it into small pieces and filled up a medium sized bowl.
  2. In a small bowl stir together water, vinaigrette, and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
  3. In a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet cook onion in oil and butter over medium high heat,stirring occasionally, until slightly caramelized
  4. Add cabbage and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
  5. Add just enough chicken stock to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
  6. Stir in vinaigrette mixture, sea salt, and pepper until combined well.
  7. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the cabbage and toss.
Though this side dish tastes great on its own, I sliced two pre-cooked sausage links and threw them in just long enough to warm them. (I used this organic chicken, turkey, spinach and feta sausage). Goes well with potatoes

0 had something to say:

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget


Blog Archive

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE
"Dr. Love said she was inspired by a colleague who told her that in World War II, aviation experts focused on planes that went down until someone said, 'Why aren't we studying the planes that stay up in the air?'"

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

About

Collage: n. an art form in which bits of objects, as newspaper, cloth, pressed flowers, etc. are pasted together on a surface in incongruous relationship for their symbolic or suggestive effect. 2. any collection of seemingly unrelated bits and parts, as in a photomontage vt. to arrange (material) in a collage
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts