Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Out and About: Food Truck Festival

Truckeroo logo
This past weekend was chock full of activities. In addition to horseback riding, brunch in Georgetown, and an impromptu makeover (more on that in another post), we kicked off the weekend with Truckeroo Friday night. For those who don't know, Truckeroo is a monthly food truck festival held in D.C. April thru October. For me, it was the first chance I've had to partake in the food truck craze owing to the fact that I no longer work in the city. As a foodie, that is one thing I miss most now that I work in the 'burbs - the plethora of dining options. The beauty of Truckeroo is that it provides the opportunity to try a variety of cuisines in one place, once a month, until the Fall.

That being said, I was excited to finally chow down on some tasty street food. Our strategy was to eat a little from several trucks so that we could try different options without filling up too fast. To make a long story short, that plan was an epic fail.
I swear it seems like the older I get, the more my stomach shrinks. I'm not ashamed to admit that I used to eat like a man with a healthy appetite. Now I eat like the little lady that I am and, as my mom would say, my eyes are longer than my stomach (yes, she says "longer", not "bigger"). Nevertheless, we covered respectable ground and everything was delish! Each of the following trucks was stalkworthy and I would follow them closely on Twitter if you work in D.C.:

image of dc empanadas food truck
photo via the Food Truck Pages

You can never go wrong with empanadas (well, unless you're just one of those crazies who don't eat fried food - I joke!), so we started with the D.C. Empanadas truck, where we both had "The Badass" - a buffalo chicken/blue cheese combo that melted in my mouth. Honestly, I could have loaded up on empanadas alone, but I wanted to save room to try other things. I will, however, revisit their truck when I get a chance.



image of tapas truck logo

Next up was the Tapas Truck where we ordered a healthy portion of corn fritters atop garlic fries for only $5 - and it was more than enough to split between the two of us! I'm drooling just thinking about it. If there's one thing I love more than good food, it's a bargain.


takorean korean bbq tacos logo

Next, we decided to be adventurous with TaKorean. Tacos + Korean BBQ? My tastebuds were intrigued. I was also intrigued by the very long line which remained at the truck for the duration of our time at the festival. Long lines = good food, right? I had the bulgogi steak taco with kimchi slaw. The verdict? Yum! 

I would definitely have seconds, except by that point, I tapped out. My little stomach could take no more despite my plans to visit the BonMi truck next (next time guys). I had to leave room for dessert, and real estate in my stomach was at a premium by that point.


Goodies ice cream truck and owner
photo via Goodies Facebook Page

That brings me to our final culinary excursion of the evening - Goodies Frozen Custard and TreatsVoted one of the 14 best food trucks of 2013 in the D.C. area by dcist, Goodies is a retro ice cream truck, right down to the uniforms. If I had my druthers, I would have started with this truck first, but I was with my S.O., who refuses to try my sweets before dinner approach, so I was forced to wait for my beloved ice cream treat! I had "The Jukebox Cookies n' Creme Concrete" (vanilla custard with Oreo cookies). The Oreos and ice cream combo is one of my favorite comfort foods, and you can never go wrong with ice cream in my book, so I enjoyed it. I also appreciate the backstory and the commitment to the overall old-fashioned ice cream parlor theme - and bonus: the guys working the truck are cute to boot. Mmm, handsome men and ice cream. Yessss

Wait, where was I? 

Oh yes! So that wrapped up our evening of gluttonous pursuit. I would post a photo of me chowing down, but I looked like a pig at the trough, so that is not happening (I was also side-eyeing the rude ladies sitting next to us in a few of my photos). I definitely plan on revisiting Truckeroo a few more times before the season ends. If you're trapped in the 'burbs like me, check it out. Admission is free. You just pay for the grub.


0 had something to say:

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget


Blog Archive

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE
"Dr. Love said she was inspired by a colleague who told her that in World War II, aviation experts focused on planes that went down until someone said, 'Why aren't we studying the planes that stay up in the air?'"

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

About

Collage: n. an art form in which bits of objects, as newspaper, cloth, pressed flowers, etc. are pasted together on a surface in incongruous relationship for their symbolic or suggestive effect. 2. any collection of seemingly unrelated bits and parts, as in a photomontage vt. to arrange (material) in a collage
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts