Thursday, November 29, 2007

Poetry in Motion: LUAM

“In order for your body to move, your mind has to be free.”
-Luam

Ain’t that the truth. This chick right here inspired me to run back to the studio after about 8 years of deferring my dreams. Throughout my young life, I admired choreographers like Rosie Perez, Fatima, and Tina Landon and dreamed of one day becoming a Fly Girl (Josie was my favorite.) So, in my sophomore year of college – I announced to my parents that college wasn’t for me (despite the fact that I always excelled in academics and was an honors student at the time) and I wanted to quit and pursue my dreams of becoming a choreographer and writer. Long story short – the parents weren’t feeling that idea at all and I caved. I continued to dance but set my professional dance aspirations aside in the meantime. After graduation, I set out to audition for a professional dance team when I was thrown off track yet again by a boyfriend, nasty breakup, and depression – in that order. The latter really took the wind out of my sails, which is why the aforementioned quote about the correlation between your mind and body really struck a chord with me. For years I simply could not dance. In order to dance, you have to feel the music and I was just struggling to feel like dragging myself out of bed in the mornings. It’s like my feet were mired in clay. I even stopped dancing at weddings. Well, never again!

Luam is one woman who stood her ground and pursued her passion at all costs and she is most definitely a source of inspiration, no matter what your personal pursuit may be. A former Ivy Leaguer turned choreographer and designer extraordinaire, she took the road less traveled and I for one, applaud her. Check out Nicole’s post on Luam Keflezgy for more.

Get it Girl! :o)



Today's Random Shuffle:

A Dream, Jay-Z
Start Over, Joy Denalane
Dum Dums, Das EFX
I’ve Just Begun (Having My Fun), Britney Spears
Long Way 2 Go, Cassie
Movin’ Together, Richard Dorfmeister
Summer Love, Justin Timberlake
What Is It About Men, Amy Winehouse
Supa Emcees, De La Soul
Little More Oil, Dj Rupture

6 had something to say:

Strength/Courage/Wisdom said...

Very inspiring.

And good for you! Dance little sister! I admire dancers, since I am about as coordinated as a fire hydrant. Which means I just stand there until it's necessary to move and then I'm all over the place. Sigh.

Tbyrd said...

"as coordinated as a fire hydrant"?? LOL You are too funny.
Well don't high five me just yet. My muscle memory is JACKED so I had to start all over (Beginner I). I'm working on it though. ;o)

Nicole said...

Our passions and dreams are part of our Soul. When we ignore them, we ignore ourselves. I'm happy you're dancing again.

Anonymous said...

This was very inspiring...when I still lived in NYC, I used to stop by Broadway Dance from time to time...it's too crowded now for my tastes, but what a great work out it can be! And btw, I actually tried out to be a flygirl. Didn't get picked...they were looking for someone hispanic but didn't say that in the first place (otherwise I would've just stayed home).

Passion is just so important and if dance is your passion, by all means, pursue it and don't look back. Not even for a second.

Tbyrd said...

Eclat, you auditioned for a flygirl spot?! Wow, I bow down. ;o)
And shame on them for wasting your time.

Tbyrd said...

nicole - so true. Thanks!

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget


Blog Archive

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE
"Dr. Love said she was inspired by a colleague who told her that in World War II, aviation experts focused on planes that went down until someone said, 'Why aren't we studying the planes that stay up in the air?'"

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

About

Collage: n. an art form in which bits of objects, as newspaper, cloth, pressed flowers, etc. are pasted together on a surface in incongruous relationship for their symbolic or suggestive effect. 2. any collection of seemingly unrelated bits and parts, as in a photomontage vt. to arrange (material) in a collage
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts