Friday, November 21, 2008

Truffle Hunter?

This month's issue of Domino magazine featured an article on truffles - and I'm not talking the chocolate, bon bon variety. This story covered the overpriced fungus that apparently commands top dollar in the finest restaurants. I haven't and will likely never try them since they closely resemble dung (a likeness I absolutely cannot get over). Much like caviar, once I saw it spilling from the body of a gutted fish, I scorned it. That doesn't mean I'm above selling some of the hot fungi though, should I ever stumble upon them - and boy did I ever! In a field just down the street no less. (Of course, they could be of the common poisonous variety too. hmmm)

It's funny because I probably walked past these things before and just thought they were poo. Either that or I was too busy chasing my dog to notice them at all. But on this particular morning, I noticed the round black fungus likely because I'd recently read the Domino article (and because my dog gave chase in that direction). This summer and fall have produced a variety of mushrooms in my neighborhood, some so huge I couldn't help but think of The Smurfs (lol), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that truffles popped up too. There were only about six or so in this particular patch so I won't get excited just yet, but I will check on my secret truffle garden again.
Then again, it could just be poo.

(Sadly, I don't have a picture because camera + 3 rambunctious dogs + muddy field = trouble.)

0 had something to say:

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget


Blog Archive

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE
"Dr. Love said she was inspired by a colleague who told her that in World War II, aviation experts focused on planes that went down until someone said, 'Why aren't we studying the planes that stay up in the air?'"

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

About

Collage: n. an art form in which bits of objects, as newspaper, cloth, pressed flowers, etc. are pasted together on a surface in incongruous relationship for their symbolic or suggestive effect. 2. any collection of seemingly unrelated bits and parts, as in a photomontage vt. to arrange (material) in a collage
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts