Monday, November 9, 2009

Miami Pt. II: Uhmaaaaaaah!


Since the point of heading to the beach was relaxation, I was forced encouraged to squeeze in some spa time. I'm not exactly a spa baby because - as I've said before - I don't like strangers rubbing me; therapeutic or not. But when someone is asking you every day if you're going to make a spa appointment, you tend to give in. I agreed, with the following caveats:

 - It must be an eco-friendly spa
- It must be affordable


Enter Uhma Spa - a green/organic spa in South Beach. Although walking distance from Ocean Drive, Uhma is in an urban neighborhood, so don't expect to get your treatments while staring out at the sea. Nevertheless, the spa itself is very much an oasis in the city.



The waiting and treatment rooms are well appointed, the staff is awesome, and it was a relaxing experience. Their prices are also quite reasonable - especially compared to spas in that area, and considering they only use 100% natural and organic products.


Because of my touchy-feely issues, I usually stick to a hot stone massage and forgo other traditional hands-on massages. This time, I wanted to try something new that would also detoxify somewhat, so I opted for the Ayurvedic Aromatic Ubtan scrub ($50).


Although I believe in alternative treatments/traditional medicine like Ayurveda, I am also a skeptic in general. I often believe that when dealing with any business - spas included - customers may be told we're getting one kind of service when it's really something else...or nothing at all. Basically, I don't trust people. However, this was not the case at Uhma. They seem really committed to a holistic lifestyle. 


So, after my drink of über pure water with a tincture of Pure Inventions Green Tea extract (yum!) in the relaxation area, I went in for the scrub expecting - at the most - for my skin to be super supple afterwards (an authentic ubtan scrub supposedly results in glowing skin). The masseuse scrubbed. I showered. Then I had an ayurvedic massage with oil. Afterwards, I had a bit more green tea extract and fresh sliced guava from the spa owner's garden, and headed back to the hotel.


My body went into detox mode about 30 minutes later (I'll spare you the details) and that evening, my energy level was waaay up. Just to give you an idea, I was there to de-stress and wind down so I'd been going to bed pretty early most evenings, and certainly far from bouncing off the walls. The next morning, I was shocked to see that my skin actually glowed as though I'd applied bronzer before stepping out of bed. Oddly enough, I also noticed that the junk foods and sugary drinks I tolerated and craved before were now far too salty, sweet, etc. My taste buds actually changed and things like potato chips were suddenly too harsh. On the way home, I could actually taste the metal/aluminum residue from drinking a canned drink (even though my lips never touched the can), and the loads of sugar in my "juice" - something most people don't even notice day-to-day; and I suspect the treatment had a lot to do with this.


Further, a [non-contagious] skin condition I'm prone to developing every Fall (which was beginning to break out in Miami) cleared up; and for several days all I really craved was fresh fruit, veggies, and fish. I even wasted a piece of what was probably really great red velvet cake! I simply had no craving for junk food at all. I am now a believer in Ayurvedic massage and ubtan scrubs and would like to get such treatments on a regular basis (and perhaps further explore ayurvedic medicine). Too bad, Uhma is so far away. If you're in the South Beach area, be sure to check them out.


*P.S. - I was not paid or compensated in any way for this review. Further, I don't know that everyone will experience the same benefits from the treatment that I did. I may have had a leg up on the detox/purification thing since I also began hatha yoga weeks prior to my trip. 
On another note, I'm not quite a fan of the yoga yet, but I have experienced mental clarity since I started, so maybe there is more to it than stretching after all. Ommmmmmmmm*

0 had something to say:

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget


Blog Archive

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE

Find a CAUSE, Find a CURE
"Dr. Love said she was inspired by a colleague who told her that in World War II, aviation experts focused on planes that went down until someone said, 'Why aren't we studying the planes that stay up in the air?'"

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

About

Collage: n. an art form in which bits of objects, as newspaper, cloth, pressed flowers, etc. are pasted together on a surface in incongruous relationship for their symbolic or suggestive effect. 2. any collection of seemingly unrelated bits and parts, as in a photomontage vt. to arrange (material) in a collage
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts